[mythtv-users] EAC3 passthrough

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 19:17:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:08 AM,  <sastie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if anyone managed to get EAC3 tracks to be passed via SPDIF
> to a receiver.
> when I play a HDDVD rip, my receiver doesn't see any track and therefore
> doesn't output anything.
> playing AC3 tracks and DTS tracks works fine.
>
> Thanks

You cannot yet pass through any of the HD audio formats yet (and no,
DTS and AC3 don't count).  When ffmpeg picks up support for their
bitstreaming, so too will myth.  Even when it does, you will never be
able to pass it via SPDIF, there isn't enough bandwidth.  Dolby
Digital spec says that "authentic" E-AC3 hardware will be capable of
transcoding to 5.1 AC3 for output on SPDIF, but for proper E-AC3, only
HDMI will do.

Robert