[mythtv-users] NUVexport problems

DISAFAN disafan at aim.com
Fri Jan 23 18:39:36 UTC 2009

I don't want my comment to be seen as a criticism. I was more commenting on the fact nuvexport as a whole hasn't been updated in a while, while its dependencies are rapidly changing.

I agree that nuvexport stands on its own, whereas the programs it calls are the ones changing. And they all have an annoying tendency to change their interfaces. Good information on how to use all the options is often also lacking, as I found when I tried to adjust the parameters to fix the problems the new versions created.

But, doing tests using the default settings for XviD export, there are still problems.

Transcode 1.10 was released on January 18th, and will likely come to rpmfusion soon, as unlike all the ffmpeg svn stuff, it is a stable release. It deprecates the print_status command, replacing it with progress_meter and progess_rate, and there seems to be a secondary problem I have yet to isolate using the debug feature.

Mencoder also fails to generate a usable avi, and the changelogs on rpmfusion and atrpms indicate the dates of last update were roughly equivalent. I haven't had time to manually debug this yet though, and will try to get to it so I can file a more detailed note.

I have to agree that ideally mythtv should do the transcoding. I would love to be able to push my transcoding jobs onto the queue, and thought about doing it as a manually initiated nuvexport calling userjob. The limitations as I see them is that it is limited in available formats, and the ability to temporarily pause lower priority jobs to devote to higher ones, namely commflagging over transcoding(unless this has been added in and I missed it).

But for now, either way, we make do with what is available. I wish I was a decent coder, rather than someone who justs edits existing pieces, so I could be of more assistance.

DISAFAN wrote:

> > After the most recent update to my rpms, which updated transcode to
> > version 1.10 and updating ffmpeg to the latest SVN, both from the ATRPMS
> > repository, nuvexport no longer works.

Might be because I don't have access to a newer version of ffmpeg (I'm
running the latest one that rpmfusion provides for fedora 10).  I don't
use atrpms.

I apologize, but I won't commit an untested patch, and can't test this
patch until rpmfusion provides a newer version of ffmpeg or (my
preference) mythtv itself can do the transcode so we don't have to rely
on ffmpeg, which has a REALLY annoying tendency to change their CLI
options without any announcements, documentation, version changes, etc.

-Chris