[mythtv-users] Mythtv, Gentoo, DVB and 2.6.28 kernel not compiling

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Fri Jan 23 08:42:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, January 23, 2009 6:49 am, Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> JK,
>
> Yes. Exactly the same problem here. I am sure that there is a more elegant
> solution but the hack I do is:
>
> 1) Start the emerge and hit Ctrl-Z once everything is unpacked and
> compilation begins.
> 2) vim
> /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.21_p19046/work/mythtv-0.21/libs/libmythtv
> /dvbtypes.h (replace vim with your favourite editor).
> 3) Line 22 I change to: #if (DVB_API_VERSION < 3)
> 4) Line 30 I change to: #if (DVB_API_VERSION >= 3)
> 5) Save the file and then type fg (enter).
>
> Myth should now finish compiling OK. I believe the actual API version is
> 5.0
> so these checks seem a bit outdated.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Wayne
>
> (I'm in Outlook at the moment. Sorry if formatting is bad)

Interesting...  I was planning on updating my Mythbox to 2.6.28 soon.
Maybe I wont bother now!  If it aint broke, don't fix it....

If you want a (only slightly) more elegant solution based around Waynes
just do

1) ebuild /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtvxxxx.ebuild unpack
2) make your edits
3) ebuild /usr/portage/media-tv/mythtvxxxx.ebuild install

(or something along those lines)  Saves you having to "catch" it and ctrl-z.

Robert.