[mythtv-users] Fwd: Digital Audio on HDMI MB not working

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Jan 22 21:43:53 UTC 2009

Rob Rosenfeld wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:01 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I am remembering correctly, the machine gun is the digital data in analog

> Since there seems to be a virtual surfeit of audio experts hanging
around here, I will post a different problem: I get gravelly sound in
myth from digital files (OTA) using Fedora 10, and great sound from
analog files (PVR500). The sound from digital recordings is garbled and
barely understandable. It is not 'machine gun' sound (nor chipmunk).

Mythfrontend gives this error:

2009-01-20 17:00:45.013 [liba52 @ 0x5a11990]Error decoding frame, no
sync byte at begin

This is a recent, and updated install of F10, with SVN trunk 19453, but
I get the same error with any recent version, up to and including SVN
trunk 19704. System is a Core2 Duo with intel sound. Hdhomerun and
PVR500. This is a recent install and update of Fedora10.

This an either an alsa setup problem or a missing library. I have NO
idea  where to start parsing what is wrong. This is a standard
alsa:default  config, no digital passthrough, stereo sound setup. I am
using analog output not SPDIF.

NOTE: Mythtv plays digital video streams nicely, but ths sound is bad.
Mplayer plays the same files perfectly. Analog source files play fine in
both. So this is mpeg4 specific???
I strongly suspect that this is not a setup error...but what is it then?

aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
   Subdevices: 1/1
   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L  (stereo portion only)
default:CARD=Intel