[mythtv-users] Upgrade and moving of backend

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Jan 22 15:00:41 UTC 2009

On Jan 22, 2009, at 4:12 AM, Gareth Glaccum wrote:

> I was intending on upgrading my backend for mythtv. Unfortunately
> this box is on a F7 OS and is thus getting out of date.
> This box also performs a webservice and diskless boot services for
> some of the machines.
> I have one other machine which is used as a front-end, with disk,
> which would be powerful enough to be a backend temporarily (but not
> diskless boot server I think), and two machines without disks which
> are used as frontends.
>
> I was intending to upgrade to F10 on the downstairs machine with
> disks, then install svn/trunk, check that everything worked,
> transfer the database and storage to this machine, then upgrade the
> server with F10 and svn/trunk, sort out the webserver etc. then
> transfer everything back again.
>
> I looked through the howtos on transfering from one host to another
> and as such this seemed like a feasable upgrade path.
>
> The snag comes, in that the F7 version of myth is I think 0.21, and
> svn is 0.22. Even loading a front-end up starts to try and make an
> upgrade to the database. (personally an auto-upgrade is fine, but
> should be performed by a backend service only, not a frontend. What
> would happen if someone with a Upnp frontend on their laptop plugged
> into a backend network [badly configured with the default
> mythtv at mysql u/p available to all dhcp hosts], it would upgrade the
> backend database possibly to the point where the backend crashes).
>
> So my question is (and I think there are more people likely to have
> done a staged upgrade on this list), will the 0.22 upgrade crash the
> backend (I thiny yes). Can anyone suggest a suitable (less stressy
> downtime...) upgrade pattern here?
>
> I want to stick with Fedora / Redhat based real OS, and would like
> to go to trunk, as if I ever get any free-time I want to start to
> dabble again.

It sounds to me like instead of going to trunk you want to check out
the -fixes branch and build from that so you're still at 0.21 and have
a stable system. Then when you get that free time, you can easily
upgrade to the trunk branch.

The bottom line is that you can never mix versions of MythTV. If you
want to use 0.21-fixes, use it on all machines. If you want to try you
hand with trunk, it must be on all machines. You should just get a
protocol mismatch error if you try to run trunk fronend against 0.21-
fixes backend. If it's actually performing an upgrade then that is
wrong behavior.

-Brad