[mythtv-users] MCE remote & LIRC on Debian Etch

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:21:15 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:35 PM, Jake <jakeisawake at gmail.com> wrote:

> > which indicates to me that /dev/lirc0 does not exist, and I'm not sure
> why,
> > or how to figure out why.  Has anyone had success working with this
> how-to?
>
> well, does the device exist?  is the module loaded?  i assume that
> you've setup the lircd.conf because i don't think the module will load
> properly without it.  i'm on debian using the mce remote and one way
> to get some debug is to run lircd in nodaemon mode so it doesn't fork
> to the background.
>
> so, /usr/local/sbin/lircd -n --device=/dev/lirc0 should give you some
> debugging info.  if you're installing from source then there is an
> lircd.conf for the mce remote in
>
> /usr/src/lirc-0.8.x/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb.  i just dropped
> that into /etc and called it lircd.conf, loaded lirc_mceusb2 and it
> just worked.
>
> also lirc is crazy in that if the log file gets too big lircd will
> refuse to run and give some cryptic warning so you might want to look
> at the log file and rm if necessary...
>
> hope that helps :)

I'm sorry if this sounds naive, but could you elaborate on "loaded
lirc_mceusb2" because I'm not sure where/how to "load" this.  I assume you
mean that that "lirc_mceusb2" is the configuration file that contains the
button mapping, etc., but my understanding is a bit vague on that point
too.  Since I have a working mceusb2 remote on another system, I intend to
grab the myth-specific configuration files from there, but that won't help
me until I get the basics working.

To answer your question about whether the device exists, I must ask, in what
respect?  Physically, the device exists, in that I have a remote in my hand,
and a usb receiver plugged into the machine, but beyond that, as far as my
machine is concerned, it doesn't seem to.  On my Mythbuntu/Ubuntu machines
where I can make the remote work using 'automagic' tools, I have a file
named "/dev/lirc0" that seems to 'be' the remote as far as the system is
concerned, but this is not the case on the Debian machine I am working with
(if I do a "ls /dev/l*" I get "lircd" "lircm" and a bunch of "loop*"
listings, and other unrelated items).

Where you ask if the "module is loaded," I have to assume the answer is no,
but I was hoping to learn how to make that determination more certainly.

when I try /usr/local/sbin/lircd -n --device=/dev/lirc0 as you suggest, I
get:

BedroomFE:/home/josh# /usr/local/sbin/lircd -n --device=/dev/lirc0
bash: /usr/local/sbin/lircd: No such file or directory
BedroomFE:/home/josh#

so that's not much help.

I do have a "lircd.conf" file in /etc/lirc/, and it contains the only
uncommented lines:

 remote:
include /usr/share/lirc/remotes/mceusb/lircd.conf.mceusb

and the file it's pointing to does exist, and is populated with what looks
like hexadecimal code which I assume describe buttons, etc.

Sorry if my response is less than inspiring, or leans toward annoying, but
I'm just trying to work through this, and I'm simply asking the questions
that come to mind.

Thanks for any help and patience.

Josh