[mythtv-users] OT: mATX HTPC cases with LCD/VFD

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 02:40:44 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/22 A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com>:
> Sorry for my ignorance as this is my first case with a display. What is the
> difference between an LCD and VFD and what are the benefits? Are they
> synonymous for one another?

A LCD is made of pixels... and you need a backlight

A VFD is made of segments and the segments themselves can produce
light. Typically this is the kind of display you will find in
microwave or VCR

A VFD is usually much easier to read than a LCD, but you are limited
in what you can display to whatever has been pre-set..

Jean-Yves

> Are you applying that patch to LCDproc 0.4.5 for iMON
> (http://venky.ws/projects/imon/#standalone)?

If you use Ubuntu, I've made patches that you can directly apply to
the LIRC code...

> "To get lirc to automatically detect the display as an LCD instead of a VFD,
> you need to use lirc from CVS."
>
> Also, a bit of enlightening for me would help... is this compiled before
> Myth along with or seperate of Myth?

The LCD in those cases is rather recentm and reports pretty much the
same kind of property on the USB port. So old version of LIRC sees it
as the old VFD screen rather than the newer LCD.

Once you update LIRC or patch the existing one, it recognises the
screen properly.

Hope this help
Jean-Yves