[mythtv-users] ext4 vs XFS for mythbuntu

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:19:18 UTC 2009

> I am about to install ubuntu/mythbuntu on a new server and now that ubuntu
> jaunty/9.04 has ext4 I was wondering if I should use ext4 for the OS and/or
> myth data partitions.  What do you think?

I have been waiting for a 2.6.28 kernel (with openvz patches that does
not exist yet) do do just that on my main mythbox. The problem I have
is xfs is very slow on small file operations while ext3 is very slow
on large file operations. I have been using ext4dev on for a few of my
shares that I can loose and it has worked very well for the most part.
Performance is much faster than xfs with small files and better than
ext3 with large files.

John