[mythtv-users] ext4 vs XFS for mythbuntu

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 21 18:10:16 UTC 2009

On Jan 21, 2009, at 10:01 AM, Chuck Peters wrote:

> I am about to install ubuntu/mythbuntu on a new server and now that
> ubuntu jaunty/9.04 has ext4 I was wondering if I should use ext4 for
> the OS and/or myth data partitions.  What do you think?

How important is your data? I'm all for trying new things, but not at
the expense of losing something that I feel is very valuable. If you
don't care that much about the data I say to go for it since it offers
some great benefits over ext3 but if losing the new episode of LOST
(that's still popular, right?) would mean the end of your
relationship, I'd let someone else use it for a while first. :)

I was actually considering it because I've reached the max file size
while recording OTA HD before (during the olympics and almost again
yesterday if I didn't catch it while recording the Inauguration). It
would be nice to not have to worry about 8+ hour recordings making my
system fall down. Of course there are other file systems that are
tried and true that work nicely with MythTV that I believe offer the
same benefits of ext4. I didn't look that closely, but I didn't see
anything astonishingly new in ext4 that would benefit MythTV that I
couldn't get with something like XFS.

-Brad