[mythtv-users] Why doesn't 'delete recording' actually mean 'delete recording'?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:17:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2009 08:48 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>
>> On 21/01/2009, ryan patterson wrote:
>>>
>>>  I don't want to debate the usefulness of this "feature".  Personally I
>>>  find it to be annoying and counter intuitive.  But I understand many
>>>  people could prefer it this way.  Is there a way to disable the fake
>>>  delete feature?  Or is there a easy way to figure out how much space
>>>  my "deleted but not yet really deleted" recordings take up?
>>
>> There is an option in TV Settings in mythfrontend that will let you
>> disable this functionality.
>
> Auto Expire Instead of Delete Recording
> Instead of deleting a recording, move recording to the 'Deleted' recgroup
> and turn on autoexpire.
>
> in mythfrontend settings under General.  Oh, and the default value for that
> setting is false, which means that the person who finds it "annoying and
> counter intuitive" must have...
>
> Mike

Thanks for the info.  It is all becoming clear to me now.

Allow me to expand on what I already wrote.  I think the undelete
function is a fine feature. But what I find annoying and counter
intuitive is the false low amount of free space mythtv tells me I
have.  When I look on MythWeb or the machine status page in
mythfrontend I am told the recording partition has a very low amount
of space available for new recordings.  Of coarse the reported
estimate for recording time follows the free space amount.  So that is
also very low (last night myth told me I had 8 hours at average
bitrate, 3 hours at max bit rate).

But in reality I have over half a terabyte in deleted recordings.  I
just think myth should report that as "free space" and calculate the
available recording time accordingly.  I'm sure some people will say
my way is counter intuitive because MythTV free space and free space
on the recording partition are not equal.  But I think it would be
better.  Does this make since to anybody else?  Or am I coo-coo for
cocoa puffs?