[mythtv-users] Why doesn't 'delete recording' actually mean 'delete recording'?

Phill Wiggin alamar at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 16:10:14 UTC 2009

Lots of great info there, thanks Mike.

But, I have to disagree with depending on how you use Myth:

> Really, though, there's no need to delete recordings when you get low on
> space.  Just ensure that you have some (sufficient number) of them set to
> allow autoexpire and Myth will take care of getting rid of them for you, but
> not until you need it to.

For instance, I tend to keep quite a few shows recorded and don't want them
to expire, but there are others that I'm fine expiring.  At any given time,
I don't know of an at-a-glance method of seeing how many and which files
will autoexpire.  (I can look in a few places to gather this information,
but it's not something that's "just there".) I much prefer knowing precisely
how much I can record before I'll start 'losing' (expiring) shows.

I guess my point is, deleting shows (and freeing up the space) cleans up
your frontend and gives you a number that shows how much more you can record
w/o autoexpire.  It also gives me a bit of impetus to watch some of the old
stuff hanging around. "Uh oh, we only have 20 Gig free.. We'd better watch
those old Mythbusters to clear off some space."  Without that number to rely
on, Myth would just autoexpire something and those precious Mythbusters (or
something else?) may just go away.

No big deal, of course, but just one way that Myth is used and Delete is
important.