[mythtv-users] Fwd: Digital Audio on HDMI MB not working

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:15:28 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:32 PM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:

>> i get nadda with the aplay command above.  actually, i get: "Playing
>> WAVE 'a_sound.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 11025 Hz, Mono aplay:
>> set_params:954 Sample format non available
>

> hmmmm.... can you try...
>
> aplay -Dplughw:0,3 /some/dolbydigital/audio/file.wav

i think i tried that as well.  i know i had entered that into the Myth
sound settings.  unfortunately i only had about 10 minutes of computer
time available last night as we had family over.  maybe i'll have a
bit more time to play tonight.

> What version of alsa do you have?

i'm using 1.0.17 (i think).  it's the default version shipping with
Ubuntu 8.10.  i believe you're one version (1.0.18) ahead.  i may try
to upgrade to that version and see if it helps.

one other thing i had tried was setting all my Myth sound settings to
mimic yours from a post you sent yesterday or the previous day when
you got everything working successfully.  (congrats by the way ;)
it didn't make a difference for me.  i'm guessing the mobo chipset has
a bigger role to play than i previously thought, because that's the
only big difference between our two setups that i can tell (nVidia vs.
Intel).  i also tried adding an /etc/asound.conf setup like yours with
no luck.

i need to devote a good hour or two to systematically go through and
doc my starting point and what i try and what the logs say.
unfortunately i'm not sure i'll have the time to do that in the next
week since we're going out to Tuscan, AZ to visit relatives this
weekend.  should be a nice change in weather from chilly Chicago, IL.
though. ;)

--
Andrew Close