[mythtv-users] Why doesn't 'delete recording' actually mean 'delete recording'?

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 13:03:34 UTC 2009

Long story short, I logged into mythweb yesterday and saw that I only
had 25GB free on my recording partition (1.5TB).  So I deleted a bunch
of recordings to make room (I had no idea which of my terabyte+
recordings myth would start auto expiring).  Later lest night I
checked and saw that the amount of free space had not increased at
all.  It seems that telling myth to delete a recording doesn't
actually delete it.  It just gets placed into a queue to be deleted
when myth needs space.  This allows the user to later "undelete"
recordings.

I don't want to debate the usefulness of this "feature".  Personally I
find it to be annoying and counter intuitive.  But I understand many
people could prefer it this way.  Is there a way to disable the fake
delete feature?  Or is there a easy way to figure out how much space
my "deleted but not yet really deleted" recordings take up?