[mythtv-users] MythVodka port -- was QT programming Question

Nasa nasa01 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 21 11:52:09 UTC 2009

Quote: from Mike Dean...

Remember a week ago in IRC (I'm pretty sure that was you) when I said,
"Post a question to the -users list with appropriate /details/ and
code?"  By that, I was suggesting that you actually /divulge/ the
information to entice people into helping you.  (If that wasn't you,
please ignore this paragraph and take the rest of them as my advice to
you.  :)

>>(Yeah, that was me....)

Telling people that you're porting "a plugin," does /very/ little to get
them excited to help you.  Telling people that you're porting MythVodka
(a plugin which many people are likely to be interested in using) would
be a /much/ better sell.

Sure, doing it that way may mean that you have to share the glory, but
at least you'll be able to share the working plugin, too.  :)

>>What?? There's glory to be gained?!?

Ok,  following Mike's suggestion -- here's a link to my latest effort...

home.comcast.net/~nasa01/MythTV/mythvodka-head.tar.gz

And now follows all those disclaimers....

1. This effort is based off of the mythvodka from here:  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythStreams   and you will have to reference a lot of what's stated there to get this to work...  Specifically, the dependancies, scripts and the edits to the myth menu entries.

2. Although this based of the mythvoda mentioned in #1 -- it does have some functional differences.  This version started off being just a port, however, I really didn't like waiting an hour for hulu content list to download...  So, I broke out the code that does the downloading and created like "modules" -- these are intended to be apps that can be run by cron -- thus letting it download content listing at like 0200 (when I am asleep).

3. This effort is built against trunk, thus it has been *ported* to qt4

4. I don't have a way to test iplayer, there is a module for it -- but I don't live in the UK

5. NBZ doesn't work....  It's totally commented out....

6. I have had content from hulu work, infact that's the only one I have tested this code against.

7.  There are several things that need work.  For example:  it may not compile, the plugin may take a little while to build the menu, the menu may not fit the screen correctly, the plugin could lock up your frontend, the plugin could corrupt your DB (so back it up), etc, etc

So...  With all that -- let me know what you think and how I can make it better...

Nasa

BTW: this version goes about the downloading the content a little different than before, so the original question about getting the correct state back is avoided...  And the frontend can play flv files just fine....