[mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make TV less enjoyable

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 10:33:06 UTC 2009

Personally, I think commercials are mostly horrible, and that's why I
despise them. First off, I don't need to be brain washed into thinking
that I have got to have whatever the newest item is, and honestly,
that's all marketing is now. I won't even call it advertising, because
advertising is about informing people about the availability of a
product or service, and from what most commercials I see these days -
I can't call that advertising... half the time I don't even know what
they're selling or trying to promote.

I wish the automatic commercial detection worked better for me (though
it works about 95% of the time, so I can say it's gotten a lot better)
but just pressing skip is easy enough for me, and for the times it
doesn't work, I have 30 second skips and actual fast forward also...

I think that skipping commercials doesn't make TV less enjoyable, but
that rather, many people are either not really enjoying the show
they're watching (turn on and tune out?) or they're not mentally able
to focus for prolonged periods. Either problem would make brief breaks
in the show beneficial.

~Jon