[mythtv-users] I've lost 1 gig of ram

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 06:10:51 UTC 2009

2009/1/21 Claude Gélinas <claude at phyto.qc.ca>:
> New hardware to replace failed motherboard but just put back the
> harddisk with the old FC7. thanks to linux it's so easy to recover as
> compare to win. Run fine but have to solve that missing CPU and missing
> 1 gig of ram before upgrading to FC10.
>
> I've check in the bios and found nothing that can rob 1 gig on ram.
> There is no onboard video.

Hi Claude,

I have seen  the problem you describe with the "missing" ram. It
occurs when you load some motherboards with the maximum permissible
amount of ram. In your case you have put 4 x 2GB modules into all 4
slots.

The motherboard needs to reserve some of its available address space
to address various peripherals that are on the motherboard. I believe
most consumer motherboards will have this problem. I had this problem
when building a workstation a number of years ago where the memory was
critical, we had to replace the motherboard with one the literally
cost more than 4 times as much.

If you wanted to you could try disabling all onboard peripherals you
do not need, firewire, usb, serial etc if you can, but I wouldn't hold
my breath. I have found that ASUS makes note of the issue in some of
the motherboard manuals, but the server is giving me errors when
trying to download the manual. I had found a good explanation from the
Intel website at the time, but no longer have the link.

HTH,

Roo.