[mythtv-users] IPTV

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 03:50:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Gregg <3gemail at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if this will work with
> U-verse.  I dont have a spare nic right now so I cant try it, as soon
> as I get one I will.

I had a chance to try this out this evening.  The short story is that
it won't work...

I hooked up a switch so the only three things plugged in to it were
the 2wire DSL box, the Motorola STB, and my Linux PC.  While running
tcpdump on the PC, I was able to see (some of?) the control messages
between the STB and headend, and the streaming UDP packets with the
video stream.  And each time I changed the channel on the STB, the
destination address for the UDP packets changed.

Unfortunately, neither mplayer or vlc was able to show the video or
audio.  Some times, mplayer thought the stream was h.264 video with
AAC audio, but still wouldn't display anything; apparently it's all
encrypted.

One interesting detail is that each STB sends a message to a common
multicast address as an HTTP Notify packet every few seconds, with
details about which stream (channel) it's listening to at that moment.

Oh well.  Would have been nice if it would have worked...

-- Tony