[mythtv-users] mythtranscode: am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 20 22:54:56 UTC 2009

Hi, I sympathize.
I have almost exactly the same problem. In fact I tried posting the
following three days ago, but it never appeared on the list. I hope
I'll be luckier replying to this message.

Anyway, what you attempted is also very similar to what I attempted.
The only significant difference is in the format of the start time: I
used just a string of digits (as in the file name of the raw file, and
as independently suggested in another reply to you) but unfortunately
that didn't work either. It does find the file, but claims there are
no video frames in it. Instead of course there are, because the file
plays and edits ok.

Here is my earlier post that didn't make it to the list:

I occasionally get this
 status: errored
on transcoding jobs. Can anyone help me fix this and understand why it happens?

All recordings are from DVB-T. I record shows with 5 mins extra before
and after, then I do manual editing to remove that and any commercials
(always placing cut points on key frames), then I do transcode in high
quality, which in my settings has the mpeg2 to mpeg2 flag set.

Now, to give a practical example, today I recorded 6 consecutive
episodes of a documentary from the same channel, then edited and
transcoded all 6. The first 5 went through fine but the 6th failed.
The job queue said:
  exit status 255, job status was "errored".

Having read this reference page
and found that 255 is not even listed, I checked the log:
  less /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
and it seemed to indicate (see below) that it could not find any video
in the file and that the recording profiles for the transcoder were
not set. Now, neither of these complaints makes much sense to me: the
file does contain video, proof of it being that I could edit and watch
it, and I have no idea what it's complaining about for the profiles
but I know that the same settings worked for the other 5 episodes from
the same channel, same series, same day.

2009-01-17 18:36:28.289 Honoring the cutlist while transcoding
2009-01-17 18:36:28.307 Cutlist        : 0-6099,15268-21058,44510-50537,78037-8
2009-01-17 18:36:28.316 Original Length: 105018 frames
2009-01-17 18:36:28.367 New Length     : 69431 frames
2009-01-17 18:36:28.375 NVP: Disabling Audio, params(0,-1,-1)
2009-01-17 18:36:28.452 SampleRate: Attempted to add a rate 32000 Hz,
which is not in the list of allowed rates.
2009-01-17 18:36:28.477 No video information found!
2009-01-17 18:36:28.484 Please ensure that recording profiles for the
transcoder are set
2009-01-17 18:36:28.493 Transcoding
/mnt/maxtor300/recordings/1012_20090117165500.mpg failed

I also ran the command manually, with a command line of
  mythtranscode -m -e ps -c 1012 -s 20090117165500 -p 27 -l -v most
and got no better luck: it still claims it can't find any video in the
file. Why? What should I do?

2009-01-17 19:41:47.745 Transcoding from
/mnt/maxtor300/recordings/1012_20090117165500.mpg to
2009-01-17 19:41:47.809 Opening
2009-01-17 19:41:48.143 Input #0, mpegts, from
2009-01-17 19:41:48.144   Duration: N/A, bitrate: N/A
2009-01-17 19:41:48.144     Stream #0.0[0x131]: Data: 0x0000
2009-01-17 19:41:48.144     Stream #0.1[0x132]: Data: 0x0000
2009-01-17 19:41:48.145     Stream #0.2[0xfa0]: Data: 0x0000
2009-01-17 19:41:48.145 Skipping unsupported codec 2 on stream 0
2009-01-17 19:41:48.145 Skipping unsupported codec 2 on stream 1
2009-01-17 19:41:48.145 Skipping unsupported codec 2 on stream 2
2009-01-17 19:42:33.532 Found end of file without finding  any frames
2009-01-17 19:42:33.557 Transcoding
/mnt/maxtor300/recordings/1012_20090117165500.mpg failed

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list