[mythtv-users] Apple HD Trailers: not so HD

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Tue Jan 20 22:08:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 11:26 -0500, James Crow wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 23:01 -0500, Adam Stylinski wrote:
> > On the mailing list there was a discussion?  Or somewhere else?  I've
> > googled around quite a bit.  People have added fixes here and there,
> > but all of those seem to have worked their way into the current
> > revision I'm using.  The last real update to it seems to have been
> > around Januaryish '08 so I'm hoping that someone is still maintaining
> > it.
>
> Adam,
>
>   The problem with the trailer script is the Apple site now lists all
> the HD trailers on a single line (480, 720, 1080). The script grabs the
> first matching file and you get the 480p trailer.
>
>   I did some quick mods to the script and it appears that I can grab the
> HD trailers. I only let the script start downloading the first trailer
> and then exited.
>
>   Attached is a diff -u patch. I do not use diff so I may have screwed
> it up, but try it out and let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> James

 The apple trailer website was rather slow in downloading the trailers
so I decided to fix the tracking of what trailers to keep. Before the
script just deleted everything and grabbed a new copy each time it was
run. I now check for existing file before download. If the file is there
I update its mtime. After all files are downloaded I loop through the
trailers and remove the ones with mtime greater than 2 days ago.

Tested on my machine only and not promised to do anything good for you.

Attached patch is against the .04.2 version from
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_Apple_Trailers page. If the original
author of the script is listening on the list, please feel free to take
any usable parts from my changes.

Cheers,
James