[mythtv-users] Fwd: Digital Audio on HDMI MB not working

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 15:29:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> Before fiddling with mythtv, what sort of result do you get from the OS and
>>> alsa directly?
>>>
>>> Try aplay -Dhw:0,3 /some/dolbydigital/audio/file.wav
>>
>> thanks Phil,  i'll give that a try.  initially i had been bouncing
>> back and forth between getting system sound and Myth sound to work.
>> most recently i've been focusing on just getting sound to work with
>> Myth.  my testing has been attempting to play Big Buck Bunny in HD
>> through MythVideo using the Internal Myth player.  and then i'll just
>> to the command line and try similar settings with mplayer.
>> i need to come up with a better test plan... :)

> Which of these is correct?   -Dhw:0,3 or -Dhw:0.3 ?
>
> Allen

i had mine set to -Dhw:0,3
and i think Phil did too according to his email.
although, in my logs, i saw some reference to '.' or ',' and '=' or
':' making me think the code was 'smart' enough to use either a period
or comma and an equal or colon.  i'm pretty sure that showed up in my
MythBackend.log while playing i was playing around with those
settings.  i'll find it tonight and post it.
i'll also try swapping the comma for a period and see what the results
are; they may both be valid.

Allen, i too was planning on writing up my audio escapades since it
seems to be a fairly popular subject over the last 2-3 months.  i had
started to keep links, settings, notes, etc. in my user profile in the
MythWiki.  as i get things working i'll keep adding to my profile and
try to collaborate with you on that doc.

both Phil and i have 'similar' hardware, but there are a couple minor
differences that may make a big difference.  we both have Asus
motherboards with RealtekALC audio chips; however, Allen's mobo is an
AMD with an nVidia chipset and mine is an Intel with an Intel chipset.
 we both have onboard HDMI and SPDIF out.  my SPDIF out connection is
a coaxial connection and Phil's is an optical connection.  (at the
moment i don't believe either of us is using the SPDIF, just noting
the diffs)  both of us are trying to route audio through a
receiver/amplifier.
i want 'all' audio to go through my AVR since i always have that unit
on when using Myth.  i'm not sure if Phil has audio going to both his
receiver and his tv..?
i also route my video through my AVR because it made installation of
my TV much easier to route only one (HDMI) cable through the wall from
the AVR.  i don't know if that would have any effect on audio.

Phil, how do you have your MythBox wired to your TV and your receiver?
mine currently has only HDMI connecting the MythBox to my AVR and then
HDMI from my AVR to my TV.  earlier on, before you were having any
success, i also had my SPDIF out from the MythBox connecting to the
digital coaxial in on my AVR.  just curious if the wiring/connection
has anything to do with anything. :)

--
Andrew Close