[mythtv-users] Question on 8GB of RAM. Was: 32 bit or 64bit???

Stackpole, Chris CStackpole at barbnet.com
Tue Jan 20 14:40:20 UTC 2009

Hello List!
Sorry it took me a while to respond, but I wanted to test my
configuration thoroughly. In short, it looks like Bruce was right (at
least partially). It was a hardware problem so I apologize for sending
to the list, but I really do appreciate all of the responses and help!
Thanks!

For those who want to know how I 'fixed' my problem:

As I stated on Friday, I had setup a LiveCD of the same version of
MythTV. It was up all day, however, once I put a decent load on the
MySQL install it too crashed. This was the moment I knew it was
something to do with my latest memory upgrade.

I found another forum through Google where people with my MB were having
problems with 8GB of memory.  Turns out there was a problem due to
something in the BIOS reserving too much memory. In my case there was
~512MB of memory missing. So I did a BIOS update to the latest* version
and the BIOS then saw all 8GB.

* I was something like 8 updates behind:-[

The BIOS update stopped the Kernel Panics. However, MySQL was still
crashing with about the same frequency. I read Bruce's comment and did
another Google search. Others seem to have the same problem. I will
spare you the details, but that alone didn't fix the problem. I turned
off just about everything and got 3 hours of uptime (amazing! At this
time anything over an hour was good news.), then I turned on everything
one at a time. If I got a crash, I disabled the last one again. I had to
disable the serial port, the parallel port, the network port, and my
PCI-Express card. The video card still worked, but I started getting
strange resolutions (480x620 and 480x800). Not sure what was going on
there. By this time, I didn't care about the vid card so I pulled it out
and put in a PCI vid card and a PCI network card. I have no more PCI
slots available, however, I booted the system up and it has stayed up
since mid-Saturday!

Yesterday, I ran it through the ringer. I watched live TV, recorded TV,
videos, DVD's, and listened to Music. I had it recording on both of the
tuners while I streamed to both frontends. It never skipped a beat.

So for now, I am happy because it all works. :-)

Thanks again!
~Stack~