[mythtv-users] IPTV

Jos Hoekstra joshoekstra at gmx.net
Tue Jan 20 12:59:00 UTC 2009

ryan patterson schreef op 20-1-2009 13:36:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 5:59 AM, Jasper Stolte <jasperstolte at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:20 AM, belcampo <belcampo at zonnet.nl> wrote:
>>> Other then specs, seeing is believing, I do have a 19' TV with build-in
>>> DVB-T tuner and it looks A LOT BETTER then what I've seen in their Shop from
>>> IPTV, it was horrible.
>
> You have a nineteen foot television?  Wow!  Even 1920 x 1080p
> stretched to 19 feet doesn't look very detailed.  :-)

That's probably due to his (probably?) European or Dutch background ;)

>> There can be many reasons why you had this experience. It seems to me that
>> they probably messed up their IPTV setup in the store somehow. Either way,
>> IPTV does not use inferior technology to Digitenne so with double the
>> bandwidth IPTV should provide superior image quality.
>
> IPTV transmits a digital signal just like any other digital TV system
> (ATSC, QAM, DVB-T, DVB-S, etc.).  Assuming you receive the whole
> signal there should be no difference in picture quality between the
> different digital TV technologies.   The picture quality is determined
> by the source feed and the bitrate your service provider uses.  It is
> entirely possible for an IPTV signal to look horrible.  It is entirely
> possible for any digital TV signal to look horrible (even worse the
> analog).
>
> True IPTV systems should be capable of providing higher bitrates per
> channel (when compared to the other digital TV technologies).  That
> should translate into better picture quality.  But that is all theory.
>  It is like saying FedEx delivers nicer packages then UPS.  Both
> services deliver whatever package enters the system on the other end.
> If you order something cheap it will still be cheap when the FedEx guy
> hands it to you.  I am sure many IPTV service providers will choose to
> downgrade the picture quality if it saves them money.

In the Netherlands the difference is 2 Mbit for DVB-T and 4 Mbit for
IPTV, the later probably using another encoding encoding as well(Mpeg 4
versus Mpeg 2). Which means that there's more room to play with in the
same resolution.

Regards,

Jos