[mythtv-users] 2.6.27 kernel disables sound from pvr 500

cal cal at graggrag.com
Tue Jan 20 08:26:47 UTC 2009

Stef Coene wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 January 2009, genius9976 at yahoo.com wrote:
>> I found a work around! I added "blacklist cx23885" to the end of
>> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and then added "/sbin/modprobe cx23885" to
>> /etc/rc.local and now I get sound out of the PVR-500 and can still watch
>> digital TV on the HVR-1800. I think I'm off to submit a bug report...
> I'm not sure, but it could be that the modules are loaded in the wrong.
> /etc/rc.local is executed at the end of each multi-user runlevel.

exactly, it seems the problem is resolved by changing the order the modules
are loaded. Originally I was pointing to how to control the /dev/videoX
allocations, which would probably achieve the same thing. Eg, two new files
in /etc/modprobe.d, one called 'ivtv'  - mine looks like this...
{{{
options ivtv ivtv_first_minor=4
}}}
which means my pvr150 always comes up as /dev/video4 (and friends), well away from /dev/video[0-1].

cheers.