[mythtv-users] VDPAU blows up video card, film at 11

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 06:25:42 UTC 2009

On Jan 18, 2009, 3:57 PM,  <greg at phaze> wrote:
>> In the VDPAU case we are talking about using a product as the
>> manufacturer intended with manufacturer approved and provided drivers.
>
> Alpha in progress drivers, with an Alpha API, put into testers hands
> with a "at your own risk" liability.
>
> In the end I believe it was accidental code bugs when he was porting
> the automatic letterboxing patch over to work with VDPAU that caused
> him to end up with his OSD ghosted over every image displayed via
> VDPAU.
>
> Even after moving to other machine and OS.
>
> Noone else can explain what caused it bu it followed running the
> buggy code which passed some invalid info to the API :)

Indeed, I was using this patch:
http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/attachment/ticket/4872/detectLetterboxV9.patch
without the following line (which is in the uploaded version of the patch):
memset(buf, 0, width*height*3);

buf was just whatever it was, and when it ran, something went wrong.
You can read the nvnews thread here:

Perhaps it was just bad luck that the buf pointed somewhere it
shouldn't have, but it can happen and does from time to time. Software
attempts to protect hardware, but bugs are bugs and crap happens.

It sucks but such is life :)