[mythtv-users] Mythmusic: A novel idea; Apple HD Trailers: not so HD

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:57:16 UTC 2009

Probably better to stick to one topic per message, or it gets confusing.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Adam Stylinski <kungfujesus06 at gmail.com> wrote:
> MythMusic:
>
> I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement this, but I have an idea
> so obvious that it confuses me that this functionality doesn't already
> exist.  Much like how mythmusic has the ability to read  from a CD, why
> can't it pull from other various configured devices (for example, utilize
> libgpod to read the iTunes Database and play from an iPod).  Amarok can do
> this along with a variety of other players, and I don't think it would
> complicate matters too badly (although I'm not sure to what extent libgpod
> simplifies things).  This would be comparable to many consumer devices which
> offer the ability to dock and ipod and play straight from it.  The same
> effect can be achieved in software through a docking station while still
> allowing for bit quality audio through an external DAC (such as on a
> receiver).  Yes, all of my audio library is network accessible, but this
> would be for the case that a friend brings an ipod over, and I don't feel
> like pulling up gtkpod to transfer and/or listen to the music (I have an
> anti-iTunes house).  On top of that, it could be done for not-so-special
> case devices (i.e. generic mass storage devices like thumb drives, external
> hard drives, and basic mp3 players).  Anyway, just an idea.

One problem is that mythmusic has all its music in the database so
doesn't handle media that comes and goes that well (with playing a cd
I understand it does a cddb search and uses the metadata it finds to
show on screen without insewrting it into the DB, whether its feasible
to have the metadata from a whole ipod to be sotred temporarily until
its unpulgged is another matter).

> Unofficial Apple Trailer Plugin: I must say this a very neat, yet sloppy and
> breakable implementation.  I have tried to correct the PHP to the best of my
> ability, but it seems to only want to grab URL's containing standard
> definition resolutions into the array of the supposed valid URL's.  I'd
> messed around, enabling debug, try to explicitly force functions, fixed the
> flaw that looks for HD video in an "/hd" subdirectory that no longer exists
> on a per movie basis anymore, still it grabs the 480p versions.  I have yet
> to look at the raw RSS feed itself that the script uses (something like
> "Newtrailers"), but from what I gathered it tries to deduce the truncated
> subdirectory on apple's trailer site from which to find the movie's page.
>  It then looks for URL's from there.  Has anybody else had better luck with
> this?  I'm doing the "Download with a cronjob" version on 0.4.21 for the
> sake of having them immediately when I wish to view them.  I sympathize with
> the obvious perl hater who wrote it, but I'm not the greatest at PHP hacking
> (I'm not quite sure if there is or how to get to a line by line interpreter
> for it).  Anyway, please contact me if anybody actually found a fix for this
> plugin so that it actually grabs HD video.

There was an earlier discussion on this when the script was first
released I think.