[mythtv-users] MythVideo doesn't read lots of DVD's

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 03:39:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM, "José Tomás @ Chico"
<jose.tomas at chico.mine.nu> wrote:
> Hi all!
> This does not have to do about media quality or media damage.
> This is applicational, I tested new brand DVDs and old DVDs, with VLC,
> mpalyer and at common set top DVD player, only mplayer failed. :-(
>
> About the quality and protection of the the stream that resides on the DVDs
> I saw evidences that there are some issues.
> If we read the latests release notes for the new versions for
> libdvdnav/libdvdread/libmpeg2 they all are pointing to deal with some
> quality issues.
> And they manage how to have some improvements related to.
>
> Is not possible to put here all links, some I do not have here...
>
> http://libmpeg2.sourceforge.net/
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/
>
> Thanks!

so, to summarise, you think later versions of [some packages] might
help your problem and you want to know how to install those later
versions in ubuntu.

1. Try medibuntu which sometimes has "better" versions of multimedia packages.

2. roll your own - although I am always loathe to go outside your
distro's packaging system.