[mythtv-users] Digital Audio Problems - Noisey, stuttering, skipping

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 01:54:46 UTC 2009

Perhaps you can join the thread "Digital Audio on HDMI MB not working"
and help those guys out as you seem like you all have similar
problems.

That said, here is a caned reply I give people and it might help you
as you seem to be running Fedora, which seems to be a special case.

Let that thread know if you get it working.

Allen

For spdif I recommend the following settings:

Audio output device: ALSA:spdif  <--- this doesn't work with HDMI
boards, perhaps ALSA:hw=<card>,<device>? as given from the output of
"aplay -l"  Not sure...
Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958(AESO 0x02)
max Audio Channels: Stereo  (this feature is broken so this is the
recommended setting even for 5.1)
Upmix: Passive
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
Enable ETS to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
Aggressive Sound Card Buffers (unchecked)

Remove or rename alsa.conf and .asoundrc if it exists.
If you are running Fedora, remove pulseaudio and all its files.  There
was a post that outlined the process but it is gone.  A copy is below.

Run alsamixer and enable iec958.  Use the right arrow key to see it.

Copy of someone else's post:

The steps I followed were:
-1- Rename (add "-orig") to cripple:    /etc/pulse
                                       /etc/pulse/default.pa
                                       /root/pulse-cookie
                                       /home/<user name>/.pulse-cookie
-2- Run   rpm -qa | grep "pulse"   and   rpm -qa | grep "pa"    to find
the stuff loaded for pulse audio.  Remove it via yum ("yum remove xxx"),
one item below per run:
                       pulseaudio
                       alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
                       pavucontrol
                       pulseaudio-utils
                       gstreamer-plugins-pulse
                       pulseaudio-core-libs
                       akode-pulseaudio
This leaves:    libflashsupport
               pulseaudio-libs
               akode-pulseaudio
To remove these would take too many other dependencies.

IIRC, there were subsequent notes on several sites that removing only
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio was enough.  I'm not certain that "I recall
correctly" and even if I do, it might not be enough for Fedora 9.  But
I'd probably try that first to see if it (alone) works.  Besides, since
you'll eventually need to do it, there's no harm.