[mythtv-users] Issues with audio over HDMI

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 01:40:55 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM, Phil Wild <philwild at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Here are a couple of thoughts.
>> 1) When you tried to play through your optical connection did you
>> disconnect the hdmi cable?
>
> No... I use the hdmi port for video. I simply hooked up the optical port to my receiver and reconfigured my receiver to receive sound through this port. I was expecting the changes to my mythtv configuration would send sound through that port.
>

>> 2) You must have enabled your digital outputs in alsamixer or aplay
>> wouldn't work but I thought I would bring it up just in case.
>
> Yes I have done this.
>

>> 3) I think the statement Audio output device: ALSA:spdif can't be
>> correct for your board as there needs to be an assignment specifically
>> for the hdmi port.  My spdif port reads differently than yours as
>> well.  For comparisons, here is mine:
>
> This is what I was expecting as well but was following the advice given. I would have expected that ALSA:hw:0,3 or something similar would work. As I have managed to get digital audio over HDMI working for everything but mythtv using hw:0,3 in my /etc/asound.conf setting I was hoping that ALSA:default would have been the correct setting.
>
> As ALSA:spdif has no correspence to anything in the setting, I assume that mythtv must understand this and set it to something that it knows about somehow.
>

>> In the google search I did, I found references to patches so programs
>> can tell that the ALC1200 should use the ALC883 settings built in and
>> other patches to support hdmi.  You say you can play audio, just not
>> with myth so I am thinking the ALSA:spdif statement needs to change.
>>
>> You also might google "alsa alc1200 <your mb model>" and see if you
>> can get any hits.
>>
>> Please let us know what works.  I hope this is helpful.
>
> Thanks Allen,
>
> I am fairly certain my problem is notalsa related as I have no issues playing audio or video directly using aplay, vlc, etc. Myth even plays audio over hdmi for certain function (internet feeds like apple trailers etc). It just does not work for local content such as livetv, recordings and music.
>
> Cheers
>
> Phil
>
> --
> Tel: 0400 466 952
> Fax: 0433 123 226
> email: philwild AT gmail.com

The deal with disabling the alsa.conf file I think has to do with the
bit rate that file expects so you might get sound at one bit rate but
not at another.  I like the idea of disabling it because it decodes
the audio and re-encodes it (poorly) so you don't get the same audio
stream you started with.  At least that is what I have read.

Allen