[mythtv-users] IPTV

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 00:18:27 UTC 2009

2009/1/19 Gregg <3gemail at gmail.com>:
> Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if this will work with
> U-verse.  I dont have a spare nic right now so I cant try it, as soon
> as I get one I will.

I know U-verse uses VIP1200 boxes, so it is possible. You could try:

Plugging an STB into a hub (NOT the 2wire box - it has a switch in it
and will isolate the Multicast traffic from other ports) with your PC,
Playing a TV channel on the STB,
Using Wireshark to find the Multicast IP and port numbers for that
channel (Won't take long. While playing there is a lot of UDP packets
flying, all from the same IP/Port, to the same IP/Port. It's the
DESTINATION ip and port you need),
Using VLC (in windows - mplayer will work fine under linux) to tune
into the destination ip/port while the STB is playing it. (Once an STB
is subscribed to the group, it's bounced freely around the whole
network, meaning other PCs can pick up packets to that group too).

If that works, at least some of the IP streams are "in the clear", and
provided you can fool the DSLAM into thinking you're a registered STB
(Using DHClient rules similar, but more than likely not the same as,
those I needed for Sasktel), your Myth box can pretend to be an STB,
and you can record your U-verse IPTV without having to go through an
analog step, and can record the HD streams in the same way.

I'm not sure how to correct the corrupted streams you get from some
channels - which come through with (what I think is) missing data,
even when you are subscribed to them. If someone wants to give me a
hand with that, I'll be happy to provide stream snapshots to work
with.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston