[mythtv-users] Wierd blur/corruption at the bottom when playing video

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 21:50:46 UTC 2009

Hi

2009/1/20 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> Because you appear to want to use it and are complaining about the bottom
> portion. He suggested a work-around until you can fix your problem.

You can admit that's a very weird way of solving the issue...
Like saying can't watch this video? don't watch it problem solved...

> I haven't seen anything like this on the list, so it appears to be something
> unique to your setup. Please provide as much information about it as you can
> including
> MythTV version, video card and driver version, playback settings, does this
> happen with all videos or just particular ones, what have you done to try to
> troubleshoot and as always, logs.

This happens on all my PC running myth:
one is: E8200 Core 2 Duo with nVidia 8600GT, mythbuntu 8.10 64bits
running mythtv from there. Running on a projector 1920x1080
other: E8500 Core 2 Duo, nvidia 9400GT, mythbuntu 8.10 32 bits,,
running on a 1920x1080 TV
other: macbook running CentOS 5 with myth packages from ATrpms,
build-in screen 1280x800

One video being played:
report from mplayer:
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 112.0 kbit/7.29% (ratio: 14000->192000)
Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 632 x 258 (preferred colorspace: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 2.45:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [xv] 632x258 => 632x258 Planar YV12  [fs]

Here is a screen capture of one video exhibiting this problem:
http://img72.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capturejw3.png

Easier to see here:
http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=capture2up8.png

If you look carefully at the bottom lines of the videos, you'll see
that they are made of lines above repeated several times...

After a bit of investigation, the behaviour happens when using the
OpenGL video renderer... If using the xv-blit rendered, the it
displays just fine

For now, I have modified my default display profile so if displaying
videos with height < 400, then I use xv-blit instead of opengl...

BTW, I've noticed that the profile won't be applied if I don't set the
width to something different to 0... I would have thought that when
say the field W is 0, it means it matches any width..

Jean-Yves