[mythtv-users] MythVideo doesn't read lots of DVD's

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 19 19:11:39 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:55:34AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009 10:41:19 jedi wrote:
>
> > Oddly enough, "childrens movies" seem to be the most severely effected.
>
> Not odd at all. These are probably the most likely to be damaged and have to

    I was talking straight out of the packaging...

    Not after years of abuse.

> be replaced if no backup exists. Also the most likely to be watched over and
> over again, so a replacement must be purchased if the original is damaged.

    Poor quality fabrication and copy protection are separate problems.
If you have a genuinely damaged disk, Linux will be better able to extract
what's left than Windows will. It's the Atari 800 style broken sector
copy protection that Linux tools tend to barf on.

    Genuine bad disks can play fine in console players while giving modern
high speed computer DVD drives fits. This stuff needs to be considered on a
disk by disk basis. There's no silver bullet for this problem, not even
running AnyDVD.

     Thank the film industry...