[mythtv-users] AMD, more than 4 GB of RAM? 4 slots, ECC or slower memory timing settings?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jan 19 11:28:15 UTC 2009

diane mittnik wrote:

> Because of power consumption, I can't run more than one server 24/7.
> So in addition to MythTV, (FE/BE) (with many tuners, and a few
> additional front end diskless terminals) I'll need the FE/BE to do
> double duty as a file server and for other services.

Don't be so sure. Through circumstances not entirely of my own choosing, I now
run two servers: a "main" server which supplies dhcp, ltsp, tftp, etc and a
dedicated mythtv master backend. Since I was forced to upgrade both motherboards
over a nine-month period, my current setup now uses much less power than the
three boxes they replace (and my two workstations are now diskless ltsp clients
- bonus).

This also has the benefit that if I have to upgrade/tinker with the main box, I
know that the myth server will sail on regardless.

--

Mike Perkins