[mythtv-users] pchtv5500 sound setup for stb

Jim Cuzella TrinitronX at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 04:35:39 UTC 2009

John Finlay wrote:
> Jim Cuzella wrote:
>> John Finlay wrote:
>>
>>> You also need to connect the audio out plug to the line-in jack on
>>> your MB.
>>>
>>> John
>>>

>> John,  do you know if there is a way to get audio straight from the 5500
>> through DMA?  I've tried connecting the loop cable on my card to
>> line-in, however I get *really* bad crackly audio through this method
>> (see reference 1... thanks buggy snd_hda_intel).  From reading threads
>> about this in various places on the net, it seems this either may or may
>> not be possible when using the analog input (see references 2->4).
>> However, I have had no such luck using "alsamixer -c 1" and setting the
>> 5500's Conexant Cx8801 to capture  (the Cx88 is card #1, my ALC888 is
>> card #0).
>>
> My tests indicate that the HD-5500 can read analog NTSC audio using
> its /dev/dsp device only from the RF input. I used tvtime to set the
> channel on the 5500 and then recorded the output of the dsp device
> using arecord. I also have used mythtv to record the audio and video
> of the RF input without using the jumper.
>
> When I tried recording using the SVideo and composite inputs, the only
> audio program provided from the internal dsp was from the RF input.
> AFAICT the only way to record audio when using the SVideo or conposite
> inputs is by plugging the jumper into the line-in of an audio card and
> specifying that audio card's dsp as the audio input.
>
> John
Hmm,  well if that's true, then it seems I'll need to mess with my
snd_intel_hda drivers again to see if I can fix up the crackly audio.
It'd also be nice to get jack retasking working on my ALC888 chip for 4
channel output, however, this will have to take a back seat, as I'd
rather have 2 speakers of good quality audio than 4 of crackly and noisy
sound.

Otherwise, I guess it's time to put another more well supported sound
card into a PCI slot rather than mess with the onboard stuff.

Thanks,
- Jim C.