[mythtv-users] testing the pinnacle 800i?

Gordon McLellan gordonthree at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 03:16:47 UTC 2009

I have followed the wiki instructions, and the card is detected and
firmware is loaded.

The card shows up as either an Analog V4L card, or a Samsung DVB
tuner.  I would like to perform a test capture, to make sure the card
actually works, before I dive in to configuring it with myth.  My PC
also has a pvr-500 in it, and both tuners are working as expected.

To test the pvr, it is really easy:

mplayer /dev/video1

this shows a video stream for channel 2

To test the analog portion of the 800i, I try:

mplayer /dev/video0

Mplayer complains about missing avisynth.dll (and the list just goes
on and on, I hunt down and feed it one library after another).  I do
have win32codecs and all sorts of other non-free stuff installed from
the Mediabuntu repo.  I don't think it is a missing codec problem.

I also tried scanning the dvb section of the card, both using the
"scan" command, and myth's scanner.  Neither find any channels, even
though a tv with a digital tuner finds plenty of clear-qam channels on
the cable (Charter west-Michigan).

I tried capturing some video, and playing it back on windows, but
windows says the file is corrupt or not a video file (even tried VLC).

Any suggestions for testing this card, short of installing Windows?

Thanks a bunch!

Gordon
gmail: gordonthree