[mythtv-users] Does your wireless work better than mine?

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 02:03:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>   I'm playing around with my new HDHR. It seems to work pretty nicely
> IF I'm attached to it through a wired network. However across my
> wireless it's not so good. Does your wireless work better than mine?
>
>   Here's my setup for testing:
>
> HDHR -> LinkSys Switch -> WAP54G Access Point ->
>
> 40 ft.
>
>  -> WRT54G Wireless router ->
>
> 60 ft.
>
> ->WAP54G Access Point -> LinkSys Switch -> Vista PC
>
>   While I'd like to have the HDHR in the middle for now I don't have
> cable there so I stuck it at one end and I'm trying to stream live
> 1080i to the far end where I'm using a Vista laptop and VLC with the
> SiliconDust tools.
>
> 1) If I take the laptop over to the HDHR and hook up to that switch
> then 1080i is perfect. Doesn't ever drop a packet as far as I can see
> watching the screen. Watched for about 20 minutes and everything
> worked great.
>
> 2) If I take the laptop to the router in the middle then it works very
> well although I do see a few artifacts when pictures are changing
> quickly. I would likely be a bit disappointed over time if this were
> the performance
>
> 3) When I take the laptop to the far end, as shown above, the picture
> is a complete mess. You cannot even tell what's on TV. No audio.
> Useless.
>
>   The two wireless hops are almost line of sight. There is one small
> corner from the HDHR to the router. The router is about 6" back from
> direct line of sight. The longer hop to my office is a straight line
> but there are a couple of kitchen cabinets that block the signal from
> being completely unobstructed.
>
>   My assumption here was that the router will act as a relay between
> the two ends. If that's not the case then I'm trying to go about 100
> feet which sounds tough. I'm going to get some longer cables and move
> the Access Points around a bit to experiment.
>
>   Does your wireless network work better than mine?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

You have very little chance of getting HD streaming over wireless.
Most people on the list won't even help you with problems you might be
having once they hear about the wireless.

If I couldn't get it to work one floor up and about 20 feet over, you
probably never will. I would suggest reading up on fish lines and
cable crimping and start looking into running cat5.

Sorry.