[mythtv-users] Issues with audio over HDMI

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 00:58:23 UTC 2009

Hi,

> > on my frontend via nfs. This allowed my to open one of the .mpg files
> with
> > mplayer and it played on the TV with audio through the hdmi cable.
> >
> > MythTV however, does not give me audio from live TV or recordings..
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Phil
>
> hi Phil, looks like we're in a similar boat on this one.  and you
> nicely replied to my 'YAAT' :)  i believe that audio via HDMI using
> the Realtek chips and Intel snd_hda_intel drivers is hit or miss at
> the moment.  cool that you can get it working with mplayer.
> one thing to try, in MythTv frontend, Utilites/Setup -> setup ->
> General (pg3) you'll see audio settings for Myth.  try the following
> settings:
>
> Audio output device: ALSA:spdif
> Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
> Max Audio Channels: Stereo
> Upmix: Passive
> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
> Aggressive Sound card Buffering (UNchecked)
> User internal volume controls (UNchecked)
>
> now for the caveat.  you may need to play around with these settings,
> and since you aren't using SPDIF, see if you can change that first
> dropdown to ALSA:device=hw=0,3 or something similar to use your HDMI,
> instead of SPDIF.
> keep us updated :)

 I have tried playing with these settings. I am at work now so can't check
but I am fairly sure my settings are:

Audio output device: ALSA:default
Passthrough output device: default
Max Audio Channels: 5.1
Upmix: Passive
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough (checked)
Aggressive Sound card Buffering (UNchecked)
User internal volume controls (UNchecked)

I have also tried changing the entries to:

Audio output device: ALSA:hw:0,3
Passthrough output device: ALSA:hw:0,3

and a few different combinations. I was beginning to think it may possibly
be related to a codec issue or something as it seemed strange that mythTV
could play the movie trailers, but not liveTV or prerecorded content from
the DVB-T card but this kind of did not make sense when mplayer played them
fine directly via NFS

However, This morning I tried playing audio through mythTV after importing
my collection of MP3's and this also failed produce any sound on the TV. The
same tracks play with sound through hdmi when using vlcviewer outside of
mythtv.

At the moment, I have a 1m HDMI cable between the computer and the TV. This
will eventually go through a Pioneer receiver so I do have the option of
switch to an optical cable for audio if this makes it all work. The
preference was though to have it all go via HDMI.

Cheers

Phil