[mythtv-users] VDPAU blows up video card, film at 11

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 23:49:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 2:23 PM, Michael Heironimus <mkh01 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I don't know what particular capabilities VDPAU uses or exposes, but
> just as an example modern video cards are often overclockable through
> software and can be damaged in the same way as CPUs. I suspect that heat
> damage (which is cumulative) often is one of the main factors in
> overclock-related failures, though.

Sending incompatible timing rates to a monitor or overclocking a
videocard/CPU both cause damage because of USER ERROR.  You break the
product because you try and use it outside the manufacturers
guarantied working range.

In the VDPAU case we are talking about using a product as the
manufacturer intended with manufacturer approved and provided drivers.
 This is completely different from what is being discussed.

Again I'm not saying it didn't happen.  But I don't see how it is possible.