[mythtv-users] pchtv5500 sound setup for stb

Jim Cuzella TrinitronX at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 11:33:42 UTC 2009

John Finlay wrote:
> You also need to connect the audio out plug to the line-in jack on
> your MB.
>
> John

John,  do you know if there is a way to get audio straight from the 5500
through DMA?  I've tried connecting the loop cable on my card to
line-in, however I get *really* bad crackly audio through this method
(see reference 1... thanks buggy snd_hda_intel).  From reading threads
about this in various places on the net, it seems this either may or may
not be possible when using the analog input (see references 2->4).
However, I have had no such luck using "alsamixer -c 1" and setting the
5500's Conexant Cx8801 to capture  (the Cx88 is card #1, my ALC888 is
card #0).

I think that this confusion is generated by people's interchangeable use
of the words: analog, composite, s-video, etc...
Some threads say: Analog = v4l=possible to get audio from card (but what
*input* are they using??)
Others say: With *certain* inputs --> not possible to get audio through DMA

As a budding electrical engineer, this is making me confused as to if
it's possible to actually get audio through DMA when using the
S-Video/analog audio jack on this card.  In reality, here's how the
input connections map to the words "Analog" or "Digital".
Analog: S-Video, RCA composite, RCA Component, RF Coaxial (with Analog
NTSC signal)
Digital: RF Coaxial (with Digitally encoded high-def ATSC signal), HDMI, DVI
"HD" supporting connectors: HDMI, DVI, RF Coax (with ATSC encoding)
"SD" (standard-def) supporting connectors: All others