[mythtv-users] TV or monitor?

Owen Townend owen.townend at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 01:46:12 UTC 2009

2009/1/18 Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk>:
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>
>> This has probably been discussed before, so feel free to refer me to an
>> earlier discussion.
>>
>> What are the pros and cons of using a) a PC monitor or b) a TV monitor to
>> watch Mythtv?
>
> PC Monitor
> + Easy to interface at best quality
> - Probably won't run at PAL or NTSC framerates, or integer multiples thereof
> - May not do frame-perfect interlaced output
> - Aesthetics and usability not really designed for the living room

+ Cheaper than most TVs for a given size (up to ~30"):
   Presumably because of the lack of a tuner or the various analogue
inputs - Component, composite, s-video

> TV
> - Harder to interface at best quality
> - In practice, hard to get frame-perfect interlaced output
> + Designed for living room use

- Lower Resolution
+ Brighter
+ More input types:
   Component, Composite, HDMI, S-Video, Aerial

>> Thanks,
>> Keith
>
> HTH,
> Alex.

I have used an LCD monitor attached to my Myth box as the TV for the
past year and have recently bought an LCD TV to replace it.

For me the TV came out on top for a number of reasons:
- The built in tuner gave an additional dedicated viewing channel
separate to the Myth tuners
- The additional inputs mean that the myth box is only another
component of the media center
- Switching between a console, live TV and recorded shows is not
easily done on a monitor, especially from a lounge
- Although screens have a higher resolution, what current video is
going to be scaled *down* for the 1080p TVs available now?
- Audio over HDMI means I only need one remote, the TV remote, for
volume on all of the attached devices.

Hope this helps,
cheers,
Owen.