[mythtv-users] Start MythTV on Display I want (and if not there, next one I want) -- Final Solution

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 02:11:35 UTC 2009

This note documents my final solution.

First, I want to thank everyone for the help they gave me in solving
this three monitor setup.  Special thanks to John for the main idea
and the help in getting me there and to Nick for some key ideas that
helped me figure out what was going on.  I did not end up needing any
custom scrips but thanks to those who helped me think that option
through as well.

Here is what I now have.

The main monitor, where the login script comes up and the normal
desktop resides is on an LCD Monitor.  I can run mythweb, squeeze
center, or firefox here.  The secondary monitor, either a TV or a
Projector is where Myth starts.  If the projector is connected, myth
starts on the projector.  If the projector is disconnected (which I do
with a DVI switch that is part of my surround processor) then myth
starts on the TV.  I don't have to do anything other than restart X.

There are two things that allow this.

First is the setup of xorg.conf that sets the LCD as display0 and sets
up display1 as the projector and then if it is not there the TV.  This
setup of xorg.conf relies on the behavior of xorg to ignore settings
that are not for the monitor being used and default to autosettings.
This allows me to specify 1280x720 for the projector and yet have auto
select for the TV.  This is important because auto will put the
projector in its highest but non native resolution and it looks
terrible when set that way.

Second is setting up myth to start on display1.  There is a bug in
mythbuntu in the file mythfrontend.sh that needs to be fixed.  A
parameter can then be set in session-settings to tell myth where to
start.  This will not work without fixing the bug.
Details are at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mythtv/+bug/217974
including the modification for session-settings.

My final xorg.conf file is below.

Thanks again to everyone on the list.

Allen

# First Screen is LCD monitor where mythweb and other applications go
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Videocard0"
	Monitor		"LCDMonitor"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	Option		"metamodes"	"CRT-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"CRT-0"

	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection

# Second screen is where Myth will go
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen1"
	Device		"Videocard1"
	Monitor		"MythMonitor"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	# this next line will be ignored with the TV and the default, auto will be used
	Option		"metamodes"	"DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"DFP-0, TV-0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection