[mythtv-users] TV Connections

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 01:32:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:27 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 8:19 PM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > If my TV accepts a VGA or HDMI connection is there a reason to prefer
>> > one
>> > over the other? I realize that from a wire perspective HDMI rolls it all
>> > into a single wire but will there be any performance lost from a video
>> > perspective from one to the other?
>> >
>> > Thanks.

>> HDMI will be a cleaner, digital signal, versus VGA being analog.  Both
>> may overscan depending on your television but if you have any hope of
>> eliminating overscan it will be on HDMI.  HDMI will carry audio.  In
>> short, unless you have a reason not to, use HDMI.
>>
>> HDMI is 19 pins (4 than DB15), by the by, not just one.
>>
>> Robert
>

> HDMI also carries audio where DVI is video only correct?
>
> Assuming you were going to use the following board
> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500016) how would
> you connect it to your TV w/audio?
>
> AJM,

Yes, as mentioned above, HDMI carries audio.  It is DVI-compatible
(although not DVI + audio as some sometimes say) so can be broken out
into DVI if necessary.  I would use HDMI as the audio source if the
board and television supports it, otherwise I would use the coaxial
digital audio, otherwise you'll have to fall back to the analog audio
outs.

Robert