[mythtv-users] recent ubuntu update breaking "use video as timebase"?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 23:39:06 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2009, at 3:27 PM, Patrick Wagstrom wrote:
>
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> I've got a long term stable MythTV box in which something weird
>> happened recently, that I still can't explain.  I'm running MythTV
>> 0.21-fixes on Ubuntu 8.10 (32 bit).  Ubuntu was lamenting about some
>> packages that were out of date, long out of date, that needed
>> updating.  A couple of hundred.  I try not to upgrade the box often
>> because stuff like this happens.  Anyway, after the upgrade, all my
>> recordings played back as though they were Alvin and Chipmunks, sped
>> up a little bit and higher pitch.  The files on the drive were just
>> fine (checked through MPlayer), but in Myth stuff was decidely
>> strange.  Video was sped up too.
>>
>> I tried fiddling settings, and finally found that if I switched off
>> "use video as timebase" it would play back as normal.
>>
>> I've been running MythTV with the same database since May 2003, so I
>> have no idea when or why I turned this setting on or if I'll suffer
>> adverse effects because of it.
>>
>> So, now I'm left with 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. What advantage is there to using video as timebase? (or What am I
>> missing without it?)  According to the wikified user manual the
>> default is off, but there is no additional information.
>> 2. Did this happen to anyone else?
>>
>> Maybe if someone else got stung by this, this message could help
>> some.  Or maybe my setup is just strange.
>
> It's an experimental feature (as it says in the help text when you
> select it). I'm not sure exactly how it works, but if something says
> experimental (especially in MythTV) you can pretty much be guaranteed
> it will not work at some point. :)
>
> I believe use video as timebase was implemented for people who were
> having problems with audio being out of sync. Since you don't have
> that problem, off is good.

LOL perhaps this answer belongs in the svn for the proposed "very
simple user guide for myth" (see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/365823 )

It really is an example of how an average, not too computer literate,
user might find the whole setup thing rather overly complex, confusing
and in parts unnecessary :-)