[mythtv-users] Selecting "Watch TV" exits right away?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Thu Jan 15 16:07:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 2:44 AM, Mark Parsons
<mythtv.org at thesanitarium.org.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Jan 2009, at 16:41, Clay wrote:
>
>>> From: Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com>
>>> Any idea why selecting "Watch TV" returns me
>>> right back to the main
>>> menu?
>>>
>>> thanks a lot

>> Usual suspect:
>> Directory to hold recordings does not exist or MythTV doesn't have
>> permissions to write to it.
>> ('Live TV' is also a recording since Myth buffers everything.)
>> Whatever directory you set up in the backend, or the default /media/
>> cache/mythtv exist and have permissions?
>>
>> For realtime log, run from a terminal:
>> mythfrontend -v (playback, all, etc. -h for help)
>>
>> You can also run in a terminal:
>> mythtv (with -v all, etc. for more info)
>> to go straight to live TV and bypass the frontend menu screen.
>>

> Another "usual suspect" in my experience, which rarely gets mentioned,
> is if you've told mythtv-setup which channel to start on, but have
> subsequently moved/removed/renumbered your channels - in which case
> you get exactly the symptom you describe...

Semi-related to the channel selection: do you have a left-over channel
changer script that is causing a time-out?  I had a problem where I
adjusted my channel changing script to delay a bit longer.  Turns out
it worked fine if you are already viewing live t.v. (I could change
the delay value, then change the channel, and it would work).  It also
worked for scheduled recordings.  What didn't work was when you first
entered "Watch LiveTV" mode.  This would time-out when the delay was
too long.

Good luck,

   Marc