[mythtv-users] More hours of messing with mythtv yield zero result

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Thu Jan 15 01:21:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 01:59:57PM -0800, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Igor Chudov wrote:
> > Trying to connect to mysql by using these credentials are successful:
> >
> > kinozal:tv:~==>echo SELECT NULL | mysql -umythtv -pcrap0 mythconverg
> > NULL
> > NULL
> >
> > So at this point the problem, wherever it is, is not about database
> > credentials, unless I am missing something. Despite the annoyed tone
> > of my previous message, I would like to solve my mythtv problems.
>
> It might still be about database credentials.  What happens when you do:
> "mysql -h127.0.0.1 -umythtv -pcrap0 mythconverg
>
> Confusingly, mysql client's idea of what "localhost" is is not the same
> as Myth's.  MythTV makes a network connection to the loopback address,
> like any normal app, but mysql client uses a local UNIX socket.  It's
> possible to have the database credentials set up in a way that works
> with one but not the other.

That was one of the hurdles I had to overcome.  I did so by replacing
the host name (that came up by default) in the first configuration screen
of myth-setup with "localhost".  Then the backend could connect.  That was,
of course, after I had tweaked mysql quite a bit, and was able to do all
kinds of operations on the mysql database as a regular user, outside
mythtv.  That needed adjusting memberships in groups and setting up
mysql users and privileges.  I kept everything very permissive since only
I use the computer and I don't want to deal with the additional security
hurdles, at least for now.

A.