[mythtv-users] Start MythTV on Display I want (and if not there, next one I want) -- SOLVED

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:56:01 UTC 2009

> I was suggesting to remove the UseDisplayDevice option from the Device
> sections and add it to the "Screen 0" Screen section only. Is this what you
> tried?
>
> John

That worked!  It took a couple of other changes and clean ups.  Thanks
so much for the suggestions.  Thanks also to Nick as trying his
suggestions led me to the Xorg.0.log file that showed me what xorg was
actually doing so I could see both the errors I was making and the
default things xorg would do that I could utilize to advantage.
Basically, screen0 is asking for the resolution of the projector and
when it isn't there, xorg uses auto, which is perfect for the TV.  It
is asking xorg to use the projector and to use the TV when it can't
find it per your suggestion.  This is perfect.  I set up the CRT as
screen1 and eliminated screen2 as there can only be 2 screens at one
time.

A slight improvement would be to have the normal desktop on the LCD
and have myth launch on Display 1 so I still have a small project to
look forward to but it is now doing what I want and is wife friendly.
Mission accomplished.  My xorg.conf file is below

Thanks again all for the help,

Allen

--------------------xorg.conf--------------------------------

# First Screen is main screen where MythTV will go
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen0"
	Device		"Videocard0"
	Monitor		"MythMonitor"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	# this next line will be ignored with the TV and the default, auto will be used
	Option		"metamodes"	"DFP: 1280x720_60 +0+0"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"DFP-0, TV-0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24
	EndSubSection
	Defaultdepth	24
EndSection

# Second screen is LCD display
Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Screen1"
	Device		"Videocard1"
	Monitor		"LCDMonitor"
	Option		"TwinView"	"0"
	Option		"metamodes"	"CRT-0: 1280x1024_60 +0+0"
	Option		"AddARGBGLXVisuals"	"True"
	Option		"UseDisplayDevice"	"CRT-0"
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth	24