[mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make TV less enjoyable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jan 14 21:35:29 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 12:54:58 Robert Johnston wrote:
> 2009/1/14 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> > On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:32 AM, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I thought this study might be of interest to the MythTV community, since
> > commercial skippings is a big part of the MythTV.
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090114-dont-touch-the-dvr-commerci
> >als-help-us-enjoy-the-show-more.html
> >
> > Apparently even though we all hate commercials, having them regular
> > interrupt our shows actually makes watching the shows a more enjoyable
> > experience.
> >
> > Isn't that was the Pause button is for?
> >
> > They did show that it doesn't need to be commercials, even switching back
> > and forth between two shows improves the enjoyment. Maybe it is time we
> > create a MythTV channel surfing simulator, that would switch back and
> > forth between a few different recordings. My wife would love that. ;-)
> >
> > Or hit the pause button once in a while.
> > I have to admit I don't mind watch hulu with a 30-second ad every several
> > minutes or so. The countdown to when the show will resume is a nice
> > touch, too. Then I know how much time I have to run and get a drink or if
> > I have to hit pause to change over the laundry or something. :)
>
> I believe the main reason for this is the US Producer's seemingly
> incessant need to spend 3/4 of the show repeating themselves. Let's
> take (For example) Mythbusters as an example (Though this could
> equally apply to almost any show).
>
> The show runs:
>
> Intro (2 minutes), Titles (3 minutes),
> Commercial (5 minutes),
> Recap intro (3 minutes), Content (8 minutes), "Coming up" (3 minutes),
> Commercial (5 minutes),
> Recap intro and previous content (3 minutes), new content (8 minutes),
> "Coming up" (3 minutes),
> Commercial (5 minutes),
> Recap intro and all previous content (5 minutes), new content (5
> minutes), "Coming up" (4 minutes),
> Commercial (5 minutes),
> Recap (again) (5 minutes), finale (4 minutes), Wrap up and end credits
> (3 minutes).

The main problem is that they generally have about 5 minutes of actual
content, and they have 18-22 minutes to fill for a "half-hour" program.

Content is espensive. Writers cost money, and interesting interviewees usually
want to get paid.

It's amazing how many programs can be watched at 1.1 or 1.2 times normal
playback speed without losing anything of the content.
--
beww
beww at beww.org