[mythtv-users] Looking ahead: system requirements for .22

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 21:28:47 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With the talk of .22 and its new user interface starting to heat up
>>> here, I am curious as to what type of system requirements will be
>>> needed to run this version and take advantage of the all the new
>>> OpenGL stuff.
>>

>> I'm running on the exact same hardware I was running 0.21 on.  The only real
>> difference I can see is that people may want to invest in Nvidia 8000/9000
>> series cards in order to us VDPAU which currently can render video using the
>> GPU but it looks like Isaac is also working on getting it to render the
>> menus as well which really would make it the killer hardware to have.
>>
> Maybe - but a lot of us are running on older or non-current hardware,
> particularly backends. I would hope that the new system will function just as
> well on existing "lighter weight" hardware.
>
> --
>
> Mike Perkins

As previously mentioned, there is nothing inherent in MythUI that is
more taxing than the old UI.  However, as it enables the themer to
implement numerous new effects, layouts, and generally slather on eye
candy, there is every possibility that as themes become more
complicated, so too will memory and processor utilization increase.
If you have a slim frontend, you can use a minimal theme in line with
the existing themes.  If you have a more capable frontend, you can use
one of the forthcoming themes that throw everything and the kitchen
sink at you.  And if your system *is* too slow for a theme, it won't
be MythUI's fault.

Robert