[mythtv-users] Sony 200 disc changer

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 21:17:11 UTC 2009

> I finally received my 10 meter firewire cable and have my XL1B1
> hooked up (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sony_XL1B2).
> According to the wiki there are patches for MythVideo to get some
> sort of support for it. Does anyone have these patches? They don't
> appear to have ever been submitted to trac.
>
> If not, anyone know how I should start to implement or who has one
> of these and would like to lend a hand? Looks like I need to run a
> command to scan the DVD inventory, put what I find in the database,
> do a bulk imdb lookup of all entries and instead of playing a file
> when selected, I need to issue a load command with the appropriate
> slot number, then play the dvd in /dev/dvdX. Then I also need a way
> to do an update scan when I add more discs to the jukebox. Doesn't
> sound too hard. :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

With the help of Will (who wrote the original wiki article) adding
some scripts to the wiki, I used some of my free time (took about 4-5
hours total) today to get this working. I modified his shell scripts
and wrote my own perl script which:

1. Sets the changer to a known good initial state (empty changer if
loaded)
2. Takes inventory on the changer to see which slots are full.
3. Loads each disc and mounts it to get the actual disc name.
4. Writes a stub file (with the name of the disc) that contains a
shell script to display a "loading..." message on screen, tells the
changer which disc to load (unloads any loaded disc) and plays it with
mplayer (didn't know how to get this to work correctly with the
Internal player)

Once inventory is taken and I have a directory of .stub files, I went
into MythVideo>File Types and told it to look for .stub files and to
use the "sh" command to play them back - so basically instead of
playing back, it executes my script in step 4 above.
Using the Video Manager, I looked up metadata for each disc based on
the name of the stub file.

Now I have a separate directory in MythVideo that contains all the
discs that are loaded in my 200DVD disc changer and can play them back
whenever I please by browsing the movies in MythVideo just like my
ripped videos.

I haven't updated the wiki because I need to take out the hard-coding
I did like location of the stub files, device names of my disc changer/
dvd drive is mounts as, etc. No one had even asked Will about this
device in a few years and Sony doesn't offer it any more, I don't see
the point in going through all that work.

If you would like the scripts as they are please email me and I'll
send them off, but you're on your own as far as "support" goes.

-Brad