[mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make TV less enjoyable

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 19:54:58 UTC 2009

2009/1/14 Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>:
> On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:32 AM, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:
>
> I thought this study might be of interest to the MythTV community, since
> commercial skippings is a big part of the MythTV.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090114-dont-touch-the-dvr-commercials-help-us-enjoy-the-show-more.html
>
> Apparently even though we all hate commercials, having them regular
> interrupt our shows actually makes watching the shows a more enjoyable
> experience.
>
> Isn't that was the Pause button is for?
>
> They did show that it doesn't need to be commercials, even switching back
> and forth between two shows improves the enjoyment. Maybe it is time we
> create a MythTV channel surfing simulator, that would switch back and forth
> between a few different recordings. My wife would love that. ;-)
>
> Or hit the pause button once in a while.
> I have to admit I don't mind watch hulu with a 30-second ad every several
> minutes or so. The countdown to when the show will resume is a nice touch,
> too. Then I know how much time I have to run and get a drink or if I have to
> hit pause to change over the laundry or something. :)

I believe the main reason for this is the US Producer's seemingly
incessant need to spend 3/4 of the show repeating themselves. Let's
take (For example) Mythbusters as an example (Though this could
equally apply to almost any show).

The show runs:

Intro (2 minutes), Titles (3 minutes),
Commercial (5 minutes),
Recap intro (3 minutes), Content (8 minutes), "Coming up" (3 minutes),
Commercial (5 minutes),
Recap intro and previous content (3 minutes), new content (8 minutes),
"Coming up" (3 minutes),
Commercial (5 minutes),
Recap intro and all previous content (5 minutes), new content (5
minutes), "Coming up" (4 minutes),
Commercial (5 minutes),
Recap (again) (5 minutes), finale (4 minutes), Wrap up and end credits
(3 minutes).

With all that recapping of what happened just before the commercial
break (In case you forgot, in that 5 minutes they're away... What are
we, goldfish?), and review of what's going to happen after the
commercial break (To keep you watching through the commercial break),
it means we're seeing the same thing multiple times. If that was all
cut out along with the commercials, we'd have a show that's 33 minutes
long, almost half the show's running time, and it would be a lot less
fatiguing to watch sans commercials.

For dramatic shows (CSI, 24, BSG, you name it), you can replace the
"Coming up" with "Building tension for minor cliffhanger", and the
"recap" with "character-based exposition and explanation of the story
so far". Other than that, the formula's the same.

Compare that to something that, say, the BBC puts out. With no
commercials, they can put a lot more content into the show (Most of
it, in fact), and leave the real shock tactics, tension building, that
kind of thing, for the end of the show, as an invitation to tune in
next time.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston