[mythtv-users] [OT] Study proves skipping commercials make TV less enjoyable

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 19:36:47 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 11:32 AM, jarpublic at gmail.com wrote:

> I thought this study might be of interest to the MythTV community,
> since commercial skippings is a big part of the MythTV.
>
> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20090114-dont-touch-the-dvr-commercials-help-us-enjoy-the-show-more.html
>
> Apparently even though we all hate commercials, having them regular
> interrupt our shows actually makes watching the shows a more
> enjoyable experience.

Isn't that was the Pause button is for?

> They did show that it doesn't need to be commercials, even switching
> back and forth between two shows improves the enjoyment. Maybe it is
> time we create a MythTV channel surfing simulator, that would switch
> back and forth between a few different recordings. My wife would
> love that. ;-)

Or hit the pause button once in a while.

I have to admit I don't mind watch hulu with a 30-second ad every
several minutes or so. The countdown to when the show will resume is a
nice touch, too. Then I know how much time I have to run and get a
drink or if I have to hit pause to change over the laundry or
something. :)

-Brad